Type 1 Beanie (These beanies will be covered with “hair”)
- Yarn: Red Heart with Love, Red Heart Soft, Caron Simply Soft (we only use SOFT yarnfor these beanies so they will be comfortable enough for tender scalps to wear)
- Hook: 5.50 mm (I) (depending on the thickness of the yarn and the tension in your crochet stitches, you may find you will need to use a J hook or an H hook to get the right tension in your stitches)
- Gauge: 3 sts per inch / 2.75 rounds per inch
- Colors: Red , yellow , white , purple , pink , blue , dark red/maroon , and black
***Please watch our Beanie Instruction video for examples of perfect beanies. ***
(fits 21″ circumference, 7″ height)
R1: 8 hdc in adjustable loop 
R2: 2 hdc in each st around 
R3: (2 hdc in 1st st, 1 hdc in the next st) 8 x 
R4: (2 hdc in 1st st, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts) 8x 
R5: (2 hdc in 1st st, 1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts) 8x 
R6: (2 hdc in 1st st, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts) 8x 
R7: (2 hdc in 1st st, 1 hdc in each of the next 5 sts) 8x 
R8: 1 hdc in each st around 
R9-18: repeat R8 
R19: 1 sl st (loosely) in each st around, F/O
A few pointers to help you make a perfectsized beanie:
● Beanie should measure 7 inches long, from crown to brim when laid flat (above photo). Depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet, you may need to add an extra few rows along the brim of the beanie to make it long enough.
● The stitches should be just loose enough to pass a size H crochet hook through (this is how we attach long strands of yarn for the “hair”) but tight enough to still hold shape well when yarn is attached.
● Please either try your beanie on a child’s head or on a styrofoam mannequin head measuring 21” in circumference (we have a link to buy one off Amazon on our website). We want to make sure that the beanie will not be too tight or short for a child’s head (which is not much smaller than an adult’s head). Many of our crocheters have found that they have had to add rows to the circle to make the hat wide enough and length to the brim to make it long enough. We want to ensure that these wigs will perfectly fit the little ones who receive them so please double check your beanie’s fit before mailing it to us.
● Many people have difficulty crocheting a slip stitch along the brim that will be loose enough to slip over a child’s head. If this is the case for you, please feel free to omit the slip stitch. We will weave in an elastic band along the brim to ensure a comfortable fit.
● Please put your name, state, and city on a piece of paper and either slip it into the beanie or pin it to your work so that we can put your information on the greeting card that will be sent with the wig.
5min video with special Beanie Instructions!
Mail finished beanie to:
The Magic Yarn Project
PO Box 83 Palmer AK 99645
Write: your name, city, and State, on a small piece of paper, and either slip it into your beanie or safety pin it on before you ship your work. We will make sure your information is on the greeting card that goes off to the little one 🙂
Thank you Magic Makers!!!